Exploring the features of the OGO™ Compost Toilet and the urine diversion system.
How do I empty my OGO™ Compost Toilet Urine Bottle?
By unlocking the drawer hooks from both sides of your unit, you can pull out the urine bottle. Made of HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene), this bottle is very durable and made to last. The bottle features a molded handle, and each unit comes with a bottle cap. Each bottle can hold 9 litres of liquid before emptying.
The urine bottle is a nice feature for on-the-go situations. When full place the cap on the bottle to prevent unwanted splashing. Lift up and dump.
How and where can I dump my urine from my OGO™ Compost Toilet?
This depends on how and where you’re using your OGO™ Composting Toilet. If you’re on the road, you can use a dump point, public toilet or sewer-connected drain. If you’re in a tiny-home or off grid, you may want to use urine to assist your plants by diluting it and using it as fertiliser.
using urine at home
- Urine by itself is great for mature trees
- Urine can be mixed with 8 parts water to 1 part urine and safely disposed to anywhere you like.
- If you want to use it for plants, you need to dilute the urine with water. Urine is full of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. Plants thrive on this! Since urine is so concentrated you will need to dilute it with water if you will want to use it for your plants.
Do I have to use a urine bottle for my OGO™ Compost Toilet?
We also offer a drain kit that can be installed to divert your urine in a tank or filtration system but is simple and temporary enough that can be taken out for cleaning or moving at any time with ease.
How do you know when your Urine Bottle is full?
OGO™ Compost Toilet has the capacity of 9 litres of urine collection before needing to be emptied. Which is larger than most, but that is not the cool part. The best part about the OGO™ and the urine diversion system is there is a sensor that will trigger an indicator light when it is needing to be emptied!!
Why Do I Need Urine Diversion in a Compost Toilet?
You don’t, but it sure is the better way to go!
A Urine Diverting Compost Toilet, like the OGO™ Compost Toilet, works by separating the solid and the liquid waste into two separate compartments. The separation is key to creating the disposal of waste and minimising the smell of a toilet. In fact, a compost toilet smells better than a traditional flush toilet. When poop and urine mix together it creates sewage creating the smell that you associate with a typical toilet.
We achieved this by a patented trapdoor and built-in urine funnel in our drain pan. A simple pull of a handle and a uniquely designed bowl help ensure your solids are separated into your bin and your liquids drain to the bottle or drain system.
When you separate solid waste from your urine you are creating two reusable materials that can be put back into the environment.
BENEFITS OF URINE DIVERTING COMPOST TOILET:
- Smells less than a regular toilet
- Works by separating liquid waste from solid waste
- Built-in fans that vent out bad odors outside
- Environmentally friendly
- Saves a lot of water and energy
- Not adding waste to local waste plant
- Free plant food
- Turns waste into usable compost
- Separate urine can be used as a nitrogen-rich fertilizer for old trees
Is there a special way you have to use a compost toilet?
Not, really. We do suggest men sit down to ensure the urine stream goes to the appropriate place, but hey you might be a good aim! The reality is if you are using the OGO™ Compost Toilet, you are “going” the same as a traditional toilet.
For the overspray and stray streams of urine 98% will go into the drain pan of your unit. That is how it is designed! There are two seals from the drain pan and bottle ensuring the urine flow goes where it should. Okay, what about the other 2%, you ask? Well, it is a toilet, so just like our bathrooms found everywhere in our modern world, buildup will occur. Regular cleaning will help keep your unit smell-free and hygienic. There are tons of tips and tricks when it comes to cleaning, but you can read more in our article, Cleaning Your OGO™